Monday, June 20, 2011

I'M AWESOME!

Image from here.

The moment I became I mom, I knew one thing for certain.  These little babies that enter our lives and broaden our families come as they are.  As parents we mold and teach our children to be good people, but their personalities, their quirks, those are already there.  My oldest son decided after 23 hours of labor that he was finally ready to grace us with his arrival.  Once in my arms, he thought there was probably a better way to nurse than what I or the nurses were attempting to show him (wouldn’t take a bottle either).  Finally, after about 5 days, he came to the conclusion that he couldn’t come up with a better technique and decided a full belly was better than an empty one.  It took me over a year to potty train him.  It took my husband and I over 2 years to get him to stay in his bed at night.  He questions everything and tries to figure out a solution on his own.  At times this can be an extremely frustrating trait, but he isn’t persuaded easily and doesn’t let anyone push him.  He wants to find the answer and has enough curiosity to do it.  That is an excellent quality to have.  I wouldn’t trade those 23 hours or 5 days for anything.  They taught me about my son, his strengths, I got to know who he is.  
So we thought it would be fun to dedicate this week to the personalities that are our children.  Teach them that who they are is just right.  Celebrate being different or being the same.  It’s what makes the world go round.  I want my kids to look in the mirror and never see flaws or wish for something different.  They are who they are, and they’ll do great things!
So this week our theme is I’M AWESOME!

No comments: