Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Adventures and Road Trips - Part 1

In a hilarious take on family vacations, two ducks convince a reluctant New Hampshire moose to join them on their migratory car trip to Florida for the winter. A poor sport on the journey, Moose finds the warm, fun-filled sunshine state to be more exciting than he could possibly have imagined. When it's time to return home, a crying Moose is loathe to leave (to the disgust of his duck buddies) but then finds he can create a bit of Florida up north. The delight in this book is in Horowitz's goofy characters. The pencil and charcoal cartoons, digitally colored in bright hues, show an endearing protagonist that youngsters will embrace. Easy enough to read independently, and funny enough for adults to enjoy sharing with children, this book about a road-tripping trio will be welcome in most collections.—Marge Loch-Wouters, La Crosse Public Library, WI 


We checked this book out from the library and it is a very funny story.  Moose experiences things that I think kids of all ages can relate to.  My boys laughed out loud at many parts.  Highly recommended, especially for anyone that may need a bit of humor to take along on the next road trip.


My craft is from a super creative idea I saw here.  I loved it and had to do it immediately.  So follow the directions for the chalkboard from the link provided.  I would spray the cookie sheets with a few coats of just black paint and then apply at least two coats of chalkboard paint.  


I love to have a case/bag for everything and my kids are the same way.  Or maybe I think they are because I'm always making a bag for something.  Anyway, I thought to go with the traveling chalkboard, I would make a bag to carry all the accessories.  Just a warning, I am awful at pictures and tutorials.  So stay with me, it's my goal to improve.  Oh, and I'm a little bit lousy at sewing.  But I am convinced that the more I do it, the better I'll get.  Hasn't been working...


Here's a list of materials:
Thread          Pins
Scissors        Sewing Machine
Rotary Blade (not necessary, but nice)
Velcro


Fabric:
1. 18" x 36" felt, color of choice
2. 18" x 29" felt, match #1
3. 2 1/2" x 18" strip felt of coordinating color to #1
4. 2" x 4" strip of felt, match #3
5. 2" x 9" strip of felt, match #3
6. 5" x 7" strip of fabric, any print 
Yeah, I had no idea how to word any of that....

Steps:

1. Fold over one long end of the 18" x 36" piece of felt about 6".  Pin and sew, only the sides.  Then sew across the middle, from the open end to the folded end, creating 2 pockets.  Hope I'm making sense...
2. Take #3 and overlap opening of two pockets.  This will become the flap for them.  Pin and sew.  I put velcro on the inside of the flap so that it would stay closed.
3. Oops, I didn't get a shot of Step 3.  Take a look at Step 7.  Sew #4 and #5 in place for clipboard and pencils.
4. Take #1 and #2 and match up, wrong sides together.  Pin all sides and sew around al the edges.  Still with me?
5. Take #6 and fold up about 5 1/2", right sides together.  Iron and then sew along unfinished sides.  Turn right side out.
6. Finish edges on flap.
7. I am realizing how horrible I am at this!  Lindsey is way better at sewing and tutorials.  Eek.  Anyway,  take little pocket and attach velcro to back and place where you would like it to go.  I'm making it detachable because it will hold the chalk and I think it would be easier for the kids to take it out of the case to use.
8. Fold sides over and tie up with a pretty or gender neutral ribbon.  Do they make gender neutral ribbon?  
9. The finished product.  And now you're ready for some quiet and busy kids on that road trip. ;)


No comments: